Expression idiomatique en anglais: hit the nail on the head!
Hit the nail on the head
- Definition: Do or say exactly the correct thing.
- Example: “I really hit the nail on the head when I guessed they were getting married.”
hit the nail on the head
- be accurately right about something
- find the exact answer
- do or say exactly the right thing
- to precisely describe the cause of a problem or situation
- Stephen hit the nail on the head when he said that what the company was lacking in was clear vision and focus.
- “You’ve found the problem, Sid! You hit the nail on the head!”
- He hit the nail on the head when he said that most people won’t change their ways and continue to blame the system for all their ills.
- When my car didn’t start, my friend took one look and said that its due to a dead battery. Seems like he hit the nail on the head.
This phrase, quite obviously, has its roots in carpentry, however, it is not clear as to when it started being used. The analogy is simple, while hammering in a nail, you would want to hit it on its head to get the desired result. Missing the head could mean causing damage to the surface or even injury to yourself.
Consultez notre rubrique "ressources pédagogiques" pour vous entraîner sans stresser en anglais, espagnol, FLE, portugais, etc. grâce à une multitude de sites internet soigneusement sélectionnés pour leur qualité et fiabilité.
Ne perdez pas vos heures DIF Bonne nouvelle en ce début d'année, vous disposez d’un…
Seul organisme de formation ayant 4 certifications qualité, BTL a longtemps été reconnu exceptionnel par…
BIEN CHOISIR SON PARTENAIRE DE FORMATION EN LANGUESLes 10 règles d'or