Expression idiomatique en anglais : a chip on the shoulder
chip on your shoulder
- Definition: When someone is upset about something that happened a while ago.
- Example: “He has a chip on his shoulder from years of being bullied as a kid.”
chip on his/her shoulder
- holding a grudge or grievance
- a perceived sense of inferiority
- being angry because of something that happened in the past
- habitually combative attitude
- take offence easily
- He’s always picking up fights with everyone. He seems to have a chip on his shoulder.
- He has a chip on his shoulder for not being born into a rich family.
- He has a chip on his shoulder for not being invited to the party.
- Why do you get so aggressive at the slightest hint of criticism? You seem to have a chip on your shoulder.
- She has a chip on her shoulder about not getting admission into that university.
This phrase originated in the USA in the 1800s. It refers to a practice where people who were looking for a physical fight would place a chip of wood on their shoulders, challenging others to knock it off.
Consultez notre rubrique "ressources pédagogiques" pour vous entraîner sans stresser en anglais, espagnol, FLE, portugais, etc. grâce à une multitude de sites internet soigneusement sélectionnés pour leur qualité et fiabilité.
Ne perdez pas vos heures DIF Bonne nouvelle en ce début d'année, vous disposez d’un…
Seul organisme de formation ayant 4 certifications qualité, BTL a longtemps été reconnu exceptionnel par…
BIEN CHOISIR SON PARTENAIRE DE FORMATION EN LANGUESLes 10 règles d'or